We’re going to break you in east to start with. Here are some fine art facts to wet your appetite:
- John James Aubudon was a painter who made 435 watercolor paintings of birds over the course of his life. He was born in Santo Domingo but moved to and spent most of his life in the US. This where he found his true calling — birds.
- George Brague. This guy was the first ever living artist to have their art displayed in the Louvre — good work!
- Paul Cezanne. This poor chap died lonely and of pneumonia. When his body was found, he was surrounded by hundreds of paintings and myriad unpaid bills. His father was supposed to be a renowned and wealthy merchant trader, who went by the name of Auguste Cezanne.
- The one, the only Leonardo da Vinci. He loved animals. In fact… he’d often purchased caged animals and set them free… they were mostly birds. He was also a vegetarian, painted less than 30 pieces.. most of which weren’t finished! In addition, he left thousands of drawings and notes.
- Salvador Dali. This guys was a touch on the fruity side. He genuinely thought he was the reincarnation of his sibling — his dead brother, This guy was a machine, painting close to 2,000 pieces — each arguably regarded as a master piece. What’s more… there’s usually a portrait of himself in every painting.
- Edger Degas: He made more than 1,000 paintings of dancers. The guy was obsessed, particularly with ballet dancers.
- Marcel Duchamp: More of an inventor than an artist in some respects. He chose to create things from every day, ordinary items. Controversial in his approach, one of his displays was, for all intents and purposes, a urinal. It didn’t make it to exhibition… I wonder why…
- Anish Kapoor: Anish was recently awarded £350,000 due to a storage company mistaking a piece of his art for rubbish! They disposed of it… ooops!
- Pablo Picasso: You guys must have heard of this chap. Picasso was formally baptized with more than 25 names… 25! Seriously, go check it out.
- Vincent Van Gough: I’m bringing out the big guns now aren’t I? Vincent managed to paint more than 900 pictures in circa 10 years…!
- Andy Warhol: Andy would often do strange things… what’s with artists anyway?? He would get a box and fill it with odd items, only to seal it, date it and store it as a kind of time capsulre. Take these particular items for example: a mummified foot, Clarke Gable’s boots, Caroline Kennedy’s birthday cake. Andy… you really should get out more my old friend.
That’s it for now, if you know of any other interesting facts, then why not send them through?